Wednesday, June 15, 2016

"Yes Day!" Part 2 of 3

Yes Day!? WWWhaat?
Okay, so, you are probably asking yourself, “what is this yes day all about?” Right? O.K., I will tell you. A few years ago, I began “Yes Day!” because I was tired of saying “NO” too often to things I, too, enjoyed as a young girl (candy, ice cream, chocolate, fries, and even those dreaded golden arches), but, as an educated mother in child development, I knew better than to say yes as often as my son asked for these items. So, I searched for ideas on how to make it work for all of us. Finally, one day, without intending to find an answer, I stumbled upon the book, Yes Day! by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and Tom Lichtenheld. As I browsed books on Amazon to teach whatever important lesson I was trying to teach at the time (in a child friendly manner-of course), I found my answer. I browsed the “look inside feature” and immediately placed the book in my cart. Ding! Ding! Ding! I had an idea! The book gave me a brilliant Idea!!! I was beaming with excitement and called my husband at work to tell him that I had found a solution to our son’s obsession with sweets.




How Did I Execute My Idea?

I was going to read the book to him during his bedtime routine of reading a handful of his selections, followed by “recap” (we share our favorite part of the day). Upon “recap”, I would tell him that the following day was going to be his official, first ever, “Yes Day!”. I know, I know. You are probably thinking, “crazy woman, what are you doing?! What were you thinking?!” You are right. In my excitement, I forgot to think through all the possibilities and outcomes. I was focused on the sweets and excited to finally have a solution to a dilemma that had been plaguing our family since “Selma Cookie” (Grandma Cookie) introduced our son to the gloriousness of candy and ice cream. Yes, he nicknamed her “Selma Cookie”.  Later, “Grandma Cookie”. Today, simply, “Grandma”. 


As an aside, I love Grandma Cookie. So, if you read this post, Grandma Cookie, I mentioned you because like most grandparents home's, your home was filled with fun and part of the fun is sweets. I’m not judging- I completely understand that it’s your job to be the fun home.




Are you thinking, this is going to be a disaster, lady? A George the Menace, Curious George day, right? Yes. You. Are. Absolutely. Right. The first annual “Yes Day!” was filled with many requests that I just couldn’t say yes to because of safety. For example, asking to eat candy all day long (for every meal), jumping off a high wall because he wanted to be like Curious George, throwing rocks into the neighbor’s pool to “listen for the splash”, staying up as long as he wanted (this one we kept, but if you’re a parent or are around children, often, you know that this was only a few minutes to an hour later than his regular bedtime. Their bodies are exhausted, so, naturally, they fall asleep as soon as there is little to no activity) and there were a few more that at the moment I can’t recall. 



Fortunately, aside for sporting equipment and his collection of Disney Cars, he didn’t have much of an interest in toys. Hence, there were no requests for an abundance of toys. What did make me smile is that he asked to visit the bookstore and choose three books. Each time, we visit a bookstore, I always let him choose at least one book.  At 11, I am very happy that he still chooses the bookstore as one of his favorite places. More on books, bookstores, and how I nurtured his love of books in a different post. To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment